Saturday 14 January 2012

Trumpet Lilies

The lilies in our garden are giving me great pleasure at the moment. They are ones that I grew from seed many years ago.  They have been in situ for many years and are getting larger and larger and becoming more and more impressive. I prefer the trumpet lilies, they have good strong colours that aren’t too murky, stand up tall and have a delightful fragrance. The Oriental Lilies grow well in our garden to and so I have a few of them doing well too.

The bulbs are all labelled but they are a bit hard to get to check when the lilies are flowering. The labels have the original crosses on them. Some of the trumpets I know are grexes from the Oregon Bulb farms breeding and there are some with Lilium sulpureum as a parent.

I always intend propagating the better ones so that we can have a nice clump of the same ones, but alas each year they are finished before I get around to marking them.

Overcast with a shower in the morning and then a sunny afternoon max. 18.5 C, min. 9.6 C, rainfall 1.5 mm. Grading bulbs again today as well as counting wholesale orders. 4 more bays completed up to end of P’s in the division 1 & 2’s.

No comments:

Post a Comment